By Queen Okafor – Abuja, Nigeria, Friday, February 28, 2020.
Dr. Osagie Ehanire, Nigeria’s Minister of Health said in a statement, Thursday, February 27, 2020, it has confirmed the first case of Coronavirus in the West African country.
The COVID-19 case makes it the first case in Sub-Saharan Africa, since its outbreak in China, and the third African country to report COVID-19 after Egypt and Algeria.
According to the statement that was issued by Nigerian Minister of Health, Dr. E. Osagie Ehanire, that National Telegraph saw dated February 27, 2020, the case was confirmed in an Italian citizen who works in Nigeria but had returned from Milan, Italy to Lagos Nigeria on February 25, 2020.
The case was confirmed at Virology Laboratory of Lagos University Teaching Hospital, which is part of the Laboratory Network of the Nigerian Centre of Disease Control.
“The patient is clinically stable, with no serious symptoms, and is being managed at the Infectious Disease Hospital in Yaba Lagos,” the statement said.
The Health Ministry said it’s working to identify all the contacts of the patient since he entered Nigeria to contain the spread of the virus.
CoronaVirus has so far killed more than 2800 people and infected 83000 worldwide. Countries like Cameroon have made no statement to either dismiss as rumor or calm its citizens since a very reliable source hinted on the virus in Douala.
The Director-General of the World Health Organization (WHO), Tedros Adhanomi Gyebreyesus recently said all nations should prepare themselves for potential pandemic as nations aside from China now account for three-quarters of new infections.
According to WHO, the virus outside China has spread to a further 46 countries where about 3700 cases and 57 deaths have been reported.