Breaking News

Uganda Health Ministry Makes Big Announcement On Ebola.

By Mary Aheebwa – Thursday July 11, 2019.

Jane Ruth Aceng, Uganda Health Minister

Uganda Health Ministry says there are no further cases of Ebola on its territory after the deaths of two Ugandans from Ebola who had traveled to DR Congo, the Congolese authorities said on Wednesday, National Telegraph has learned.

In an update on the epidemic in Eastern Democratic Republic of Congo which borders Uganda from the West, the Health Ministry said its Ugandan counterparts had confirmed there had been no further infections.

“The health Ministry of the Republic of Uganda has announced that all contacts with the index case completed their obligatory 21-day monitoring period without developing signs of the disease,” 

The “index case” was a five-year-old boy and later his grandmother who died of Ebola virus disease in Uganda. The boy’s family had traveled to DRC where they had buried an Ebola Stricken relative

They were then placed in an isolation ward in the DRC but fled and returned to Uganda across the porous border, according to the World Health Organization (WHO). These are the first recorded cross-border Ebola deaths in the current outbreak that started in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) in April 2018. The DRC is where Ebola was first discovered in 1976

A total of 1,641 deaths have been recorded in DRC’s North Kivu and neighbouring Ituri provinces since August 1, according to the latest toll. The epidemic is the worst outbreak of Ebola on record after more than 11,300 were killed Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone between 2014-2016.

Ebola is an infectious and frequently fatal disease marked by fever and severe internal bleeding, spread through contact with infected body fluids by a filovirus (Ebola virus), whose normal host species is unknown.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *